Four desolate miles

8:09 PM
To frolic among familiar roads would be a mental relief until I realize that trail and road running are two distinct disciplines. 

The constant repetivtive pounding of the tarmac, I had forgotten how much I loathe thee.  Despite the firmness of the hardest of earth, it is a pillow compared to the bluntness of poured concrete.  I would even find some relief upon the dreaded asphalt on this day.

With all long runs, the mind and body are bound to enter an alliance against you.  To whisper things into your soul that will tear at your confidence and your determination.  But this is the long run.  It is the long run where mental endurance is built. 

And thus it began shortly after mile 8. 

Granted it has been three weeks since last I endured this distance, but that effort included almost 2500' of elevation gain.  This is flatness!  I should be good.  The ankle isn't giving me issues, but my soul...  These miles are becoming desolate as my body fatigues and my mind wanders.

I consider the Uber option again.  But I quickly dismiss that as I focus on the objective.  13.1 is the goal.  Regardless of how I get there.  So the dreaded fast walk with integrated intervals to exhaustion began for four desolate miles. 

I succeed.  I make it.  I conquered myself again.  But I'm sore as hell today!

...and now I think to myself, those miles aren't shyt compared to the four miles my training plan says I need to do tomorrow inside this aching body with 100% chance of glorious much needed hydration from the skies to quench the thirst of the earth!

Oh running.  :)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.