Race Summary: The Dreadmill 100 #thepersonalhell



Treadmills were originally introduced into the world as a means of converting animal or human movement or energy into a more efficient way to power "mills".   Yes, processing grains for food and ultimately consumption for "energy".  


Later treadmills would become synonymous with criminal punishment in the form of hard labor to provide free "muscle labor" to power mills or other machines.  This form of "hard labor" gained notoriety in many circles for its "cruelty".      


So why would someone want to partake in an activity once known for its prison cruelty?


We can pontificate for hours on end the commercialization of treadmills in the 20th century and / or the treadmills benefits and potential negatives, or how we like to say in the business world; areas of possible improvement.  


The purpose of this piece is to discuss growing phenomenon of the treadmill ultramarathon.  Where runners challenge themselves to run ultramarathon distances on a treadmill.  In this piece we will focus on The Dreadmill 48 hour Endurance Challenge.  


More specifically my journey.  Or should we better define it as a life adventure? #ultrarunnersknow


To quote from The Dreadmill 48 hour Endurance Challenge Facebook page:

This is a 48 hour treadmill challenge run. Do what you can in 48 hours. If you get 100 miles we send you a buckle.

 

...Too cold outside? Wind blowing too hard? Tired of sitting around? How about something different? 100 miles on a treadmill! What no treadmill at home? Split it up over two days! 48 hours to do 100 Miles (yes all on a treadmill). Welcome to the Dreadmill 48 Hour Endurance Challenge!

 

The Dreadmill 48 Hour Endurance Challenge is a virtual event. Any two days that you choose. This option is open for you to pick whenever you want to run. You have 48 hours to get as many miles possible. This is a zero profit event so 100% of the proceeds go to Alzheimer research. 


Ultra-runners tend to already be viewed by many as...  "different".  A fringe group of the running community which has been gaining in popularity over the last decade due to the physical, mental, and emotional challenge ultra-runners face when tackling excessive distances.  


Ultra-runners tend to be meticulous.  Obsessive over details.  You have to be.  If you think fueling for a marathon is challenging, try that for three consecutive marathons plus a little over a half marathon all in one setting if chasing the coveted 100 mile mark.  


You plan and plan and plan and plan, knowing that life will more than likely cause you to toss those plans aside at some point in your journey.  


This journey would be my fourth 100 mile distance attempt, sixth buckle attempt for distances over 100km, and with several DNFs (Did Not Finish).  In short, I know what it's like to go far.  And in every one of those cases, my plan got tossed to the wind.  But you plan anyway.


Discovery

I discovered the Dreadmill 100 how we all discover crazy races.  Through a friend of a friend or a Facebook friend who has to "post" and share the craziness and toughness of their experience.  For me, it's the later.  Darn you Facebook "Friends" I've never met in person!  


Logic

There is no logic.  Move along.  


Ignorant Thought

I've finished 100 miles in under 30 hours before, this event gives you 48!?!?!  That is so rationally possible.  How hard could that really be?  It's 48 hours.  Totally doable.  


Background

Personal situation makes distance running for me difficult at the moment.  I have a treadmill.  This is officially an ultra.  You have to document and validate your run / effort.  So...  Yeah, this scratches the itch to venture into that place internally in the relative "comfort" of an enclosed space.  


Benefits

No porta-potties, refrigerated goods, variety of equipment / shoes nearby, endless clothing options / changes/ no need for limited capacity drop bags which may or may not have exactly what you need when you need, no need to have to push it for miles on end just to get to the next aid spot, controlled weather environment.  


Negatives

See Benefits.  


All of the benefits become negatives real quick.  An ultra out on the trails provide a mental objective when things get...  dark.  crazy.  insane.   challenging.  You have to keep moving to get to that next aid station to refill much needed water reserves, move to prevent getting cold, push forward to get to the next shade spot for cover from the sun, to find a place of temporary solace, or even in some cases to see a smiling face.  


Ultramarathons play on your mental and take you to places within you normally don't get to explore.  


My Experience

An indoor ultramarathon on a once known hard labor punishment device for criminals!  What could go wrong?


Well you could find yourself singing to the ceiling fan for over an hour, canvasing through a broad stroke of emotions which elicit tears, all while walking briskly in slides because of a very painful run ending blister that developed in the first 20 miles.  


On a treadmill, there is no scenery.   There are no natural wonders of the day or the star filled night to illicit wonder and awe.  There are no natural habitat critters or animals to spike adrenaline or at least provide a distraction from the discomfort or pain life (as Connie would say) you will "get" to experience.  


There is only the mind numbing hum of the treadmill motor.  The redundancy of the feel of the belt or slats beneath your feet.  The ever glaring display in front of you.  And NO!  It doesn't matter if that display can sing, dance, or provide you with coaches or trainers to "engage" you for the hours and hours required to complete an ultramarathon.  


At some point you may not find yourself emotionally full singing to a ceiling fan, but you will find yourself wondering "why"?  And all the comforts of the environment and or the proximity of that environment will scream at you, “your discomfort could end immediately by pushing that stop button!


I never knew the sheer joy of peeing at mile 50 without the benefits of the familiar aroma of a porta-potty, all while walking by refrigerated liquids!


Training

No need to get into the specifics.  If you haven't done distance before, then there are countless articles and coaches on how to complete an ultramarathon.  Mainly the 100 mile distance.  What works for me may not work for you.  


However, you have to put in time on a treadmill.  Running on a treadmill is different from running on the street.  


The way it puts pressure on your feet, ligaments, limbs, and core is different than what is experienced on solid ground.  The tread itself pushes against you slightly, while the ground does not.  This slight push may not seem much over the course of a few miles or even twenty, but 100km?  That lil push can quickly chew your feet and ankles up.


In short, I put in a lot of miles on the treadmill leading up to the Dreadmill100.  In fact, the whole entire month leading up December was solely on the treadmill.  


To identify which shoes worked best for me, fueling strategy, climate needs, how to set up the treadmill tray, and other needs specifically to treadmill running.  


During this time I had zero issues with blisters.  Discovered which shoes posed the highest risk for hot spots.  Shoes with the most comfort for walking prolonged periods of time.  Along with isolating the specific socks that worked best in this environment (don't underestimate how your socks may be your weakest link).  


Discovered how to properly cool myself with FOUR fans!  Two USB fans mounted on the Peloton tray and one fan each in front and back of the tread base.  


Purchased a vehicle phone holder that sits in a cup to keep my cell phone conveniently nearby to stay on the socials throughout the event because I was leveraging this event to fundraise for my local Make A Wish foundation.  


Mounted a battery pack for electronics (phone and iPad).  And configured remotes for easy access for other distractions.  


Developed a pacing plan to complete the event as a field ultra between 27 - 30 hours.  


Made sure diet and physically was in the best shape I've been in my 50 rotations around the sun on this planet!  #letsdothis!


Race Day

Originally thought i would run this later in December, but my body and training was peaking early and it is always best to go into an ultra slightly undertrained than over trained or recovering from an injury.  So I called it and set out to do a quick week long taper and go the first weekend of December.


With reclining camp chair conveniently set behind the tread and a fully stocked aid station (food, med kit, planned clothing changes, shoes, etc) at work desk, I looked over my plan one final time and sent in my official start email notification to the race director.  



...and we're off.  


Everything was going to plan for the first couple of hours.  Like a custom well tuned handmade Swiss clock.   Pacing stayed on pace for the first 20 miles.  


However, something began to be off around the 15 mile mark (14.8 mi specifically).  The sensation of a hot spot on my right foot.  I thought odd, but pushed forward to my designated 20 mile shoe / sock change.  


Dried feet.  Did some additional blister prevention measures and set off for the next 10 miles where things got progressively worse.  During this time, got a call from a long time ultramarathoner who provided some tips.  Henry would check on me throughout the night and the next day, which was a tremendous aid.  



Best tip he gave me, hey you're at home and close to a bathroom so if things go off the rails you can try different things.  He mentioned something about one treadmill ultra he did he tried tacos.  Don't ask.  


But it was this advice that later lead me to throwing my entire shoe plan out the window and what would be the solution for me finishing the remaining 70 miles!


Between mile 20 and 30, I got sidelined to tend to growing issues with my feet.  Changed shoes multiple times.  Went through a total of six different pairs.


Right blister needed what I will refer to as "field trail immediate attention".  Note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND THIS ISN'T MEDICAL ADVICE.  I'M A MOROON AND STUPID.  I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED CRAZY AND SLIGHTLY INSANE.  I cut open the blister to drain and relieve the pressure.  There was some medical tape involved, alcohol, and the possibility of superglue.  Maybe?


My aim was to relive the pain and the pressure.  Well the alcohol shot the pain level meter through the roof, but the pressure was relieved.  I noticed when I was barefoot I could walk in some less discomfort.


I'm stubborn.  Which is a needed characteristic of an insane ultra-runner.  If it doesn't require an ambulance, Intravenous therapy (IV), cast, or removal of limbs, the goal for an ultra is to keep moving.  So I put on my slides and gimped my tail back on the treadmill.  




While pushing through 10 miles in slides, I remember thinking I've never had blister issues before.  And the times I've run 100 miles before I've never had a blister in my trail shoes....  


...I've never had a blister on my toes in trail shoes!  


Enter my Nike Pegasus from my last 100 miler, the Javelina Jundred.  Yes!  Trail shoes on a treadmill.  Yes they are heavy!  Yes they are clunky!  But damnit they did not hurt or put pressure where my foot was in the most discomfort.  They allowed me to run again!




By this time, it's almost 2am Saturday morning with 14 hours on the treadmill, not even at the halfway point when I had come to some decisions.  There was NO way I was going to meet my 28-30 hour self imposed time limit.  


I had the following exchange with a fellow runner via IM.  




After three hours of sleep, I was up again.  Ate breakfast.  Tended to my dressings.  Started off easy by walking.  


Now this is where I could have done more training.  I did a lot of running on the treadmill but not a lot of walking.  If I could turn back time, I would have done more walking in my training.  But I digress, the goal now is to keep moving forward.  I was nearing the halfway time marker without being halfway there.  I knew I needed to get to 70 miles by the end of the night in order to have a chance of finishing what has become a form of torture.  


Things get a little blurry for me around the 24 hour mark with only 3-4 hours of sleep.  I'm sure there may have been some sleep while walking on the treadmill.  Henry called and video chatted with me earlier in the day.  


And then it happened.  The real wall.  The mental darkness.  Unlike any darkness I've felt before.  Headphones on, I felt the emotions break free of their boxes I had packed them in and tossed to the corners of my mined. Hoping the lack of acknowledgement would starve their need of remedy.  


Fortunately I've been here before.  The table of fellowship with my angels and demons.  Myself laid bare before my soul.  Why are we here?  What are we doing?  What is this for?  Is this for pride or for the cause?  Who you trying to impress with this foolishness?  Ultimately, "What do you want from us?", they demanded.  


Warning:  If you don't have answers for yourself when you meet yourself during an ultra...  It's only going to get darker until there is an answer which can push you physically beyond the boarder you have found.  No external force will be able to assist you at that moment.  This is you laid bare.  


Tears fell from my eyes as I realized I was singing audibly to the ceiling fan.  Quick glance at the clock and over an hour had ticked by.  I had been staring at this fan for over an hour.  In my head, the math was there.  I can finish this.  I am fundraising for kids in far dire shape than I.  


It was at this point I was able to get out of the slides and put the trail shoes back on.  I picked up the pace and put in some useable miles and devised yet another strategy.  


This new strategy would get me as close to 80 miles as possible before another 3-4 hour nap, leaving me with 6-7 hours to cover the final 20 miles.  


I would push until 11 pm.  Take a quick 3 min shower.  Tend to my feet.  Rub my legs down.  Spend 30 minutes in compression boots.  Elevate legs and set alarm timer for 3.5 hours later.  


4 am the feeling of life rushes through me as I transfer weight onto my feet.  A sensation I'm all too familiar with.  Quick fuel and off to a walk.  The house is asleep so I know I'll stay at a brisk walk pace for at least the next 2-3 hours and pick up the pace as the sun rises.  




This is the new plan after the other plans all fell apart.  


With the sun, came energy, focus, and pace.  Also the annoyance with the treadmill screen lack of resolution. There's a splotch at the upper right of the Peloton logo that was overly annoying.  It looked as if an elementary school child who has been introduced to Photoshop finalized the wallpaper.


...but I digress.


I didn't want to deal with the clunkiness of switching between classes so the iPad was leveraged to watch a couple of movies to keep the mind away from the physical discomfort and the lure of the comforts of "home" with its plush seats and bathroom facilities with hot water distributed from a wall mounted spigot.  


I pushed forward and officially ended my journey with slightly over 100 miles at 10:17 am Sunday December 5, 2021.  46 hours 47, minutes, and 32 seconds after I began mid-day Friday.  


I know.  Long story to say I finished and completed the Dreadmill 48 hour Endurance Challenge.  





I'm still processing the person who emerged on the other side of this endeavor.  The largest highlight is adaptability.  Having such a huge issue arise so early in a distance race is a new one for me.  


Being able to access the situation, address and implement changes I had control over, dumping many changes of the initial plan in full, and accepting the reality of the situation in order to push mentally through the mind numbness of a treadmill ultra is huge.  I don't know that person, but hopefully he will stay around for a while.  At least until I need him again in the future. 


Summary:

Ultimately the goal of bringing awareness and attention to the fundraising needs of Make A Wish Arizona was accomplished.  My fundraising goal was exceeded and if you want to help bring a child's wish come true this Christmas, the link to donate directly to Make A Wish is available through the end of the year.  


May the journey of your life be an inspiration to your younger you.  In short, don't give up on life.  Adventure awaits in many forms, not just the one in your head or being sold to your on the tele or internet.  You may find adventure and inspiration in what was once considered hard prison labor.  


Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. 



 

FAQs

Should you consider the Dreadmill100 or other Treadmill Ultra?


Should you?  I'll wait....


Would you do it again?


Like a second time?  HELL TO THE NAWL!  I understand why they call these the "personalhell".  As I posted on my Facebook page

Henry warned me this was going to be different!  What an understatement!  
I have always approached any distance with respect.  But fam… 😶  They don’t call these treadmill events the #personalhell for kicks and giggles.   
There’s a whole different mental game at play.  With any ultra you plan. And plan. And plan, knowing the plan is mostly likely going to get thrown out along with the backup plan. Because… life.   
But this, when things go wrong. There’s a whole different mental game at play I’ve never experienced....


Any Preparations specific to the Treadmill?


Well I have the Peloton Tread+.  So let's start there.  And the answer is yes.  I did do some things to make life a little more bearable.  


I purchased a phone holder as mentioned above.  


I also had a portable battery pack secured under the monitor to power iPad and phone.  


I place reflective tape on the base side rails as visual queues as to how far back I could go back on the base before I was entering danger territory of falling off the back while running / walking.  


I placed green tape near the speed knob and red tape near the incline knob as visual queues when my mind would be mush.  


The two USB powered fans on the tray has been there for a while and are plugged into the Peloton USB port via a USB splitter.  

Oh I ran a heavy duty electrical extension cord to ensure the Tread was on a dedicated circuit.  Didn't want even the chance of an issue during the event!

You can find pictures of all of these things at my Instagram (@Run3sixty5) or my Facebook page (Ed Gsleeve).  Oh and I'm on tictok too!  @Run3sixty5.  


What would I do differently? 


This question was asked of me online.  I'll share my response here:  

I planned my arse off. However the things I didn’t consider:
placement of the tread during heat of the day. I’ve only been running early morning and night. The sun was shining directly onto the area the tread is and heated me up quickly, which I believe lead to the blisters late afternoon. Despite two floor fans. 
More walk training. I’ve done numerous walk+runs, but no long long walks. The tread+ has a unique feel after a couple of hours walking. 
An actual stand for my iPad. It sits too low in the tray after a while when watching videos and movies. Any TV to the side isn’t going to be fun trying to watch with a constant turn in the neck. Trust me. 
A mini step to help get off the tread. You don’t realize how tall a beast it is until your muscles start to tighten up after 50 miles. 
Other than that. I did pretty good. Set up aid station next to tread, had a waste box and recycle bucket next to base so I could drop waste and or plastic bottles, had reclining camp chair right behind tread for rest breaks.  
Had more food and variety of liquids because I knew my taste buds and feelings would change over time. Had a USB battery pack charged up and attached to tray to power phone, iPad, and recharge headphones (had two pair on deck). 
Keep any meds or emergency med kit nearby just in case. Was handy when I had to deal with those blisters.  Including ointments.  
Also had numerous socks and hats on deck. Changed socks regularly to try and keep feet dry.



Picture shows (upper left) Moments before start around 11:20 am Friday morning, (upper right) Putting trail shoes on for the first time, (lower left) late Saturday night around the 34 hour mark, (bottom right) right after finishing around 10:18 am Sunday morning.  


 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.