Hello June. It's me.

9:46 PM
It's June.  For the past three years my training cycle has started in June.  And this year continues the timing.   

...Hello June
The end of May brings about a time of introspection, preparation, planning, increased cravings, splurging, sadness, and being annoyed.

Why sadness?  It's time to say goodbye to days of ice cream, apple pie, and cookies!  OMG!  Waffle Fries!  I know I can have cheat days once a week, but I can eat a pint of ice cream a day!  Er'day!

Why annoyed?  My coach annoys the hell out of me!  Who's my coach?  ...he goes by egsleeve on the innernets!  Yup, I've been my own coach for the last few years out of necessity.  No coach could work and navigate around my crazy work demands.  So I stepped up. 

My work life creates some unique challenges which the typical training routines laugh at.  So I learned to tweak and write my own training plans every year for the goal race of the year.
  • 2015 It was Javelina Jangover 50K
  • 2016 Target was Javelina Jundred 100K
  • 2017 the goal was to survive the Daytona 100 miler!
Each year brought unique challenges and unique changes to my running style and / or stride.  Be it change of shoe drop to change the angle of my ankle, slowing down to increase endurance, mental strengthening for endurance and the typical bullshit that comes with mild depression (yes, I live on the edge of that hole from time to time; it's called life).

This year, brings Aravaipa Across the Years Multi-day Endurance Run.  I've signed up for 48 hours.  The goal is to shoot past 100 miles, target is 200K (or there 'bouts).  All while wearing something special to raise awareness for the Make-A-Wish AZ foundation.

In the next few days, I'll finalize my training plan / strategy targeting this race.

Coach says this year:
  • Get my mind right; well as altered as my crazy mind will bend for increased mental endurance and stubbornness
  • I'll need to alter my run stride yet again and lower the drop of my shoes dramatically.   
  • Change the type of shoes I currently run in
  • Increase my core strength dramatically
  • Address my aerobic efficiency or deficiency (depending on how you look at it)
  • I'll address my weaknesses through more cross training, I've already started biking more than ever this year.
Coach has some really ambitious plans already laid out consecutively through the coming months until December as markers.

We'll kick it off with a marathon in June, then Hell Acre 50K in Texas July heat, a multi-day streak in the mountains of Colorado in August, we'll Tri something in September (Rafael said arm floaties aren't allowed, so I'll have to figure something out other than the dog paddle),  another 50K or 100K in October, and a crazy running challenge in November (tired legs y'all).  Just to prepare for 48 hours in December.

This June will require I climb in the recesses of my mind further than in the last three years!  Walk my dark dog more often.  Reach and Push farther (nod to my pinned tweet and latest tat).  To be slightly more serious.  To  lace up the dress shoes, slide the sunglasses on, put on the tie and coat, and put in work!  😉😎

It's time to say hello (or goodbye).  But first I'm going to devour this pull pork, kill those cookies over there waiting for me, and lay in glutenous bliss. 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.