Are You Ready?

10:13 PM


A common question I'm hearing more and more.  In addition to this inquiry, folks seem to want to know
  • Am I afraid?
  • You excited?
  • You ready to go?
  • How da hell you going to run 100 miles?
  • I can't believe you gonna do this, do you believe you're going to do this?
  • How do you feel?
  • You think you're going to make it?
Yeah...  It can be overwhelming.  It can be, if you're not prepared.  

Me?  

Well, Am I ready?  NOPE!

Yes, this is the answer I give when folks ask me the question.  It's the truth.  

I follow it up with more info if given the opportunity because as a person who has run plenty of races, I've learned that it doesn't matter the distance, the day, or the terrain, you're never ready for what tomorrow is going to bring.  It's not philosophical.  It's the fucking truth!

We hear about the physical strategy of running.  Don't over train.  Don't go out too fast which will blow the final stage of your race.  Don't aggressively stretch prior to a run.  Don't do, wear, or eat anything new on race day.  All these physical attributes on how to be successful physically.

But what about mentally?  

I've learned to not over think these things after all the preparations are made.  Overthinking is just as harmful as overtraining.  

You start to worry about things that have zero impact.  You may even start to reconsider strategies and plans that you have formed through habits through someone's harmless comment that makes you wonder if this or that is the right thing to do.

How do you not overthink this E?  It's 100 freaking miles!  WTF?!?

5K or 100 miles.  What's the difference?  Shit can happen in either.  You can tear a tendon in either.  You can have stomach issues in either.  You can have equipment or shoe issues in either.  The weather can go from fantastic to crappy in either.  All the variables you can experience in the longer distance can happen at a shorter distance.  So why overthink it?  

Could I have put in more miles?  Yes
Could I have put in more time and trained differently?  Yes
Could I have altered my diet more and dialed in some alternatives?  Yes
Could I have broke in another pair of shoes just in case?  Yes
Could I...  Could I...  Could I....?   Yes, Yes, Yes!

As you can see, it spirals out of control quickly and becomes self defeating.  

Any run is a mental challenge.  Hell, I have struggled some days just to get off my ass and simply get 1.1 miles in to keep my current run streak alive!

I'm not about to let the proximity of time all of a sudden now punk me out when I made the decision 10 months ago to do this.

I'm not sick.  Today.
My body is in pretty good shape for my age and the beating I've put on it in recent months through training and absurd work hours.  Today.
There is nothing physical going on which raises any triggers that would prevent me from stepping up to that start line.  Today.  

So am I as prepared as I can be with what life has afforded me the opportunity up to this moment for that day next week?  I am.  

I have a routine before any race.  It is no different than before that half marathon back in 2013.  Or my first marathon in 2014.  Or my first 50K in 2015.  Or my first 100K in 2016.  Or many other no named long runs on my day off or on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  I will follow as close as I can to the routine that has become similar to walking, breathing, or sleeping.  Yes, it is habitual now.  Almost ritualistic.  

All physical routines and energy fueling strategies aside, I will put my headphones in my ear.  Tune out all the craziness and nervous energy around me.  I will either sit on the side of the road, crouch down on my heels, or find some place where I can close my eyes and zone for a moment.  One of several tunes will play and I will let the music talk to my soul.  

I will journey within myself and see through the pain.  I will see the dragons within.  I will invite my angels, my demons, and my dark dog to go along with me on this journey.  And when I open my eyes.  Then I will be ready.  

I'm not saying the race will be pretty.  I'm not saying that everything will go as planned.  I'm not saying that the weather will be picture race perfect.  

I'm saying there's a time to be ready.  And there's a reason not to even think about if you're ready or not.  Because if you think about it at the wrong time, you wont be.  

So the next time someone asks you if you're ready, tell 'em the truth.  NOPE!  But I'm prepared for today.  

Be good y'all.  Until the next one.  

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.