What's my Regimen? Does Stubbornness Count?

5:29 PM

reg·i·men
ˈrejəmən/
noun
  1. 1.
    a prescribed course of medical treatment, way of life, or diet for the promotion or restoration of health.

    "a regimen of one or two injections per day"



I've had an inquiry a few times regarding my "regimen."  What does it look like?  How does it play out?  What foods do you eat?  Can you just eat anything because of how much you run?  What about your preventive care?

Oh so many inquiries with so many solutions.  I could duck the question and say everyone's regimen will be different based on their own needs and goals.  I could and I believe I just did.  #lameresponse

What's at the top of my regimen?  I'm stubborn and persistent as hell!  Yup.  Stubbornness mixed with persistence are my main ingredients in my regimen.  LOL! 

In simple terms; I want to be healthy.   Keep my blood pressure in check and stay healthy.  #maingoals.  Since then I have set many "sub" running specific or active lifestyle goals, but the main goal is always those simple two things.  Blood pressure and health.  

But let me give you some more detail as to how this plays out.

Physical -  My regimen when I train is to the goal.  Last couple of years I've been training for these "endurance" Ultra-marathons, which require a whole lot of time on my feet.  To get used to enduring pain.  To push beyond physical limits.  So my regimen during these build ups is to get used to running on, or continuing to walk on, tired legs.  To continue when you don't want to.  To push forward when you want to pass out.  

So persistence and stubbornness.  My run365 challenge helps in this regard.  To force me to run when I don't want to run.  To keep me pushing through days I'll rather not.  Sickness and health, through it all.  Pain and discomfort.  Inconvenience and achievable.  One more mile.  

Do I have to run another 5, 10, 15, 20, or more today?  I don't, but I need to if I want to achieve my goal of "X" distance (this year that is 100 miles).  

I do create or follow plans as much as I can considering the amount of travel I do and the amount of time my job takes when I'm on the road.  The challenge can seem insurmountable, and at times the challenges are overwhelming.  

But I do best when I have a goal, so goals are what I set.  Some short term goals and then longer goals.

For instance.  Shortest term goals right now: Try to maintain 35 - 40 miles per week.  Mid goal: Run 120 - 150 miles per month.  Mid Long goal:  Complete the 100 miler in December.  Longer goal:  Become healthy enough and strong enough when I can "run" a 50 miler in full and maybe do a triathlon one day.  Longest goal:  be healthy when 70, should I live that long.  

Preventive Care -  Rest and Sleep.  Too many people fail to consider the importance of rest and sleep.   Rest your mind.  Zoning out.  I typically zone out in the shower.  Allowing my mind just a few moments to just listen to the sound of the water.  I also keep my earphones with me constantly as music soothes my soul.  Any moment I can steal throughout the day, you may catch me with them in my ear, giving myself a moment even while working.  

Resting your body.  Doing little to nothing.  All important in allowing your body to recover from the constant pounding you're putting on it.  For me this is easy.  I'm not an early riser.  So I can be motionless for a while while I struggle with getting my lazy ass out the bed.  Yes, I'm lazy.  But my goals routinely trump my laziness.  Remember I'm hardheadedly stubborn and persistent.  

Physical Therapy - I have a physical therapist.  YES!  At least once every six weeks I'm being pushed, pulled, stretched, and deep tissue messaged.  I guess I can also include the purchase of several torture devices to use regularly after runs or when I'm sitting around watching the tele (rollers, spike balls for the feet, or the infamous R8 roller that is pure hell).  Plus a regular stretch, yoga, or message routine will do wonders for your long term care.  

Sleep.  This shouldn't need a narrative, but yes SLEEP!   Yes, you read I'm lazy.  So I'm good at taking naps.  On days I'm working 12+ hours, part of my 1 hour lunch will include a 10 minute nap in the parking lot of (insert eating establishment of your choice here) just to get some z's in.  And I don't play around when it comes to laying down in the bed to go to sleep.  Sometimes I surprise myself!

Food -  Oh this is all over the place when I'm not training.  I love Biscoff cookies.  And cupcakes!  Yum.  Don't even get me started on Apple pies!  OMG!  With MILK!  YES!  But I do tighten down when I'm training.  So I try to eat a lot of nuts, specifically almonds.  Love almonds.  So I keep almonds in my backpack routinely as a snack when I'm feeling hungry throughout the day.  But I'll bite.  So breakfast is typically some combination of the following: scrambled eggs, bacon, wheat toast, fruit (melon, pineapple, apple, red grapes, cantaloupe, or watermelon), grill chicken, cherrios, or greek yogurt with fruit.  Not all of that, but some of that.  I'm pretty persistent and don't alter much.  Lunch is all over the place when I travel.  Lately, I've been holding down Jimmy Johns quite heavily with the #1.  Dinner?  Lately, I've been feeling Chipotle quite a bit.  A veggie bowl.  Or Noodles with grill chicken.  I love sushi, but that usually cost quite a bit so I have to moderate myself.  

I do take supplements.  Daily I take Hammer Rejuvenator, joint health support.  After hard workouts I religiously consume Osmo Acute Recovery for Men.  I have to say that supplements are something that you should consult with a medical professional about before consuming, especially if you're on prescribed medications as supplements, especially the quality of supplements, can have a wide range of effects.  

But this starts to get into my fueling and prep strategies, so I'll have to save details for another blog.  

So there you go.  My regimen centers around the two goals I initially set out on this journey with.  Keep blood pressure low and maintain a more healthy lifestyle for a better me.  So far so good!  Even allows for a cupcake or cookie from time to time.  

Be your best friend you need for yourself.  

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.