What Running Shoes Should I Buy?

2:52 PM

A question I get asked quite frequently for some crazy reason is "Ed.  Ed.  What running shoes should I buy?"

I have my opinion.  I'm no Shoeologist.  I didn't take a class at Shoetopia Institute of Running Shoes.  Neither am I a Pediatrist.  I do have slight foot feti....  oh wait, that's too much info.   

So what shoes do you get when you don't know what shoes to buy?



Did you learn anything from my quick vid after my morning run?  Why was I even thinking about this topic while out for my run today?

But you didn't come here for all this pontification, you came here for the answer to your question; What Running Shoes Should I Buy?

I have the answer for you!  
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I HAVE ZERO FVCKING CLUE!  JUST LIKE YOU.  AND THE PERSON AT THE SHOE STORE.  NO ONE KNOWS!  

But I do have some information that will help you narrow down your search and possibly help you get into some shoes that will be of benefit to your goals.  

You're going to have to put some work in to get your ideal shoes.  Okay?  Okay!  Let's do this.

First of all:  get rid of any brand loyalty you think you may have.  "But Ed, I've always worn Nike." "You don't understand the relationship I have with New Balance."  "Now you're just hating on [insert shoe company of your choice here]"

Secondly:  Throw out your favorite color or colorware expectations!  No one gives a flying squirrel if your favorite color is panache!  [That's a color, right?]   The shoe you may end up with probably not going to be in your color of choice.  

Thirdly:  Your fashion sense.  Yeah, I'm going to need you to leave that at the shoe store door.  Leave it!  Forget it!  Walk away from it quickly!

Fourth: [We at four already!] Remember this is about your feet and the needs you have to be successful at making sure you are comfortable, you keep as many toenails as possible, you reduce your chances of blisters, and you don't jack your feet up requiring an emergency room visit maintaining your ability to walk properly at a later age in life.  

Fifth:  Define what you want to accomplish with these shoes.  Are run training for a specific event?  Are you just running to maintain health?  What distance are you training for?  How many miles a week do you normally run?  Have you had problems with anything?  Back, hips, shin splints, knees, ankles, arches?  Do you have wide feet?  Do you heel strike or land mid-foot or toes?  Do you underpronate (supination)?  Overpronate?  Wear heels all the time?  Wear flats?  Define, define, define. 

The answer to the fifth step will begin to sort the shoes for you.  

Going for distance?  Look at trainers and shoes with a lot of cushion
Going for speed?  Look for shoes with response, not a lot of cushion, light weight
Underpronate / Overpronate?  May need stability shoes.  Shoes with additional arch and anti-roll tech built in
Heel Striker?  Look for shoes with cushion for heel strike and shock control, maybe something with a higher stack height.
Injury prone?  Possibly want to stay away from minimalist designs until you can build up your support muscles.  
Have wider feet?  Many brands have a wide version of their popular shoes.  They may need to be special ordered but they are out there.  There are even brands that typically run wide.  
Wear flat shoes with no heel?  There are zero or low drop shoes out there that you may benefit and help you transition into running.  
Trail Running?  Trail shoes have additional grip to deal with the environment of trail running.  
Going for your first Ultra?  Then you need cushion and possibly something with grip for the trails depending on the course.  

In short, be prepared before just popping up at the running store with no clue as to how to isolate the hundreds of shoes that are available.  

Best advice I can give anyone that is shopping for running shoes.  Take your time.  Be prepared to spend some time at the store.  Go to the store later in the day or after you've been running.  Why?  Your feet swells as the day progresses and also after running.  So go there when your feet are at their swollenist! [Is that a word?  It is now].

Also, wear the socks that you run in?  Too many of y'all wear a different sock than you run in when you go shoe shopping.  Not a good idea.  You'll be surprised how much the sock of your choice change the way your shoe fits.  If the store makes you change socks, request the sock style of choice.  Don't deviate.  Don't alter anything.  

Be prepared to run on the treadmill at the run store if they have one.  Don't have a treadmill at your local run store?  Consider one that has one, or ask if you can take them on a spin within the store or around the store?  Yes, run in the shoes you are considering.  

Don't try to cram you feet into a shoe just because you like them or someone highly recommends them.  Your toes should feel comfortable.  You shouldn't feel any extreme movement, nor should you experience any rubbing.  Any toes even slightly rubbing or crammed?  Then NOPE!  Move on to the next pair.

Your homework will prepare you BEFORE you go to the store.  

For example, the last time at my shoe spot of choice I went in with the following information.  

"I looking for some cushioned shoes that are good on asphalt, have a higher stack height to relieve pressure on my plantar, good for distance, with a wider toe box.  I typically roll my right foot inward as I get tired, but I'm not particularly interested in a stability shoe because I don't want the extra weight.  I'm looking for a shoe for my first 100 miler."

Jessica smiled asked if I was familiar with Brooks, knowing damned well that I haven't worn Brooks. 

I was skeptical with the Brooks.  But guess what?  They are my go to shoes right now for my long runs and turning out to be the shoes that may make the distance of 100 miles!  

You may not know your needs as detailed as I do when I hit my local spot, but at least be able to go in and advise the folks of:  What you're running for.  Why you're running.  The distance you plan on running and the number of miles you plan on doing weekly.  The terrain of your run (street, sidewalk, treadmill, track, rocky trail, hard pack dirt trail, grass) .  If you have wide feet or not.  If you have any injuries and the type of your last injury.  If you wear heels (men and women alike.  Look at your daily shoes, there's a heel on every shoe that translate into a "stack" height).  

Ask if they do a run analysis.  Many running stores will do an analysis for free.  There maybe a sales tactic associated with it, so be prepared for the "sale" but at least find out what your feet are doing when you run (supination or over-pronate).  All the information you have at your disposal helps narrow the huge field of shoes out there available.  

Do some homework and don't fall in love with a brand, color, or style.  Your feet will thank you for it.  Along with your back, your knees, your legs, and your sanity.  

Final piece of advice; be prepared to leave the store with NOTHING!  Don't force yourself, or be pressured, into shoes that are NOT for YOUR feet.  They are YOUR feet, be kind to them.  

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.