Recover Rite! Right? My Recovery plan and tips

7:04 PM
So you just finished beating your own azz!  The endorphines are swirling, you may even have some bling you posting on the gram!  Friends and family are all a buzz and want to congratulate you, hang out, and sing your praises to the heavens! Don't get caught up in the hype, your body is breaking down.  Your immune system is in overdrive because YOU have become the enemy to YOU!


You're caught in a whirlwind of emotions and you give in to the cravings!  DON'T!

I've made many mistakes throughout my journey in this running game.  I may be a run coach but I'm no fvcking expert or nutritionist, but here are things I've learned over the years that work best for me.  So here's my advice for those who will push farther this year than before.

  1. Trust No One:  There are a lot of products out there to grab your money.  Expecially on social media.  Do the research.  Be willing to try multiple things.  Look for how much sugar is in the product.  Determine if the ingrediants are indeed all natural / organic, you'll be surprised what can pass for organic in the USA by the FDA.  If the marketing seems too true to be true, it probally is.  
  2. Immediate Recovery Shake / Mix:  Immediately after a long hard effort, it's important you begin replentishing your body with the nutrients you need to rebuild and recover.  The science is in, the first 30 - 60 minutes are vital in a successful recovery!  There are many recovery protein powders, shakes, mixes on the market.  Be very careful about all of them.  Remember tip number 1; Trust no one, expecially marketing hype!  Be prepared to try different types of mixes, powders, or shakes.  Considering making your own out of natural products.  Tip 1 to make sure you do this is to make your recovery shake as part of your race fueling before the race and pack it in a thermos.  Have it immediately ready for you post race.  Don't know where to start?  Try chocolate milk!  Or even regular milk (however there is an argument that the added chocolate / sugar in the chocolate mix helps with settling the glucose cravings screaming from your brain).  Either way, make sure to incorporate a post hard effort or race shake / mix into your routine to replentish the many needs your body have to help stabilize and begin the repair process.  
  3. Treating your run injuries:  YES YOU ARE INJURED!  You just kicked azz with another fast as hell 5k, blazed a half marathon, or killed that first marathon.  Or maybe you got killed and had to drop because your body is wrecked.  Either way, You have caused injuries to your muscles and put stress on your physiological systems.  The five alarm bells are going off inside and you need to treat all those micro-tears and over heated systems.  COLD SHOWERS OR ICE BATH!  Oh how I loathe this, but again...  Science.  Since I've started doing cold showers or ice baths post hard long efforts, injuries are down and recovery time shortened.  Find what's best for you when it comes to how long.  But at least try it!  I like to follow my cold dip with a hot shower where I will do some static slow stretches and message my muscles.  
  4. Compress up:  Again SCIENCE!  Compression post hard long efforts will assist with your recovery!  I sit here in compression tights as I type this.  If you got compression, compress those aching muscles after that cold shower.  
  5. Fuel Up:  Oh food.  How lovely are thy selections.  And if I can just get over my Oreo and Girl Scout Cookie addicition I could have to two pack I've been wanting my whole life!  Seriously, you need to eat.  And not just junk food, but food of substance which your body can use to repair itself.  One can argue Pizza is the official food of Ultra-runners.  But once you've finished with that pizza pie, remember your body will continue to need the building blocks long after the camp fire is out and the pizza has been digested.  Eat clean.  Eat Healthy.  Eat Often.  
  6. Water down and Hydrate up:  Water, water, and more water.  Help flush the system and replentish the slightly dehydrated state your body is in from your killer workout  or race!  Is this even necessary?  What else can I say?  Water?  Drink more of it.  Often.  Daily.  Er'day!  Done!
  7. Rest:  Rest!  Really good rest!  Sleep!  Really good sleep!  Sleep some more.  Most of the repairs occur while you sleep!  I've gotten good at this one.  Let the dirty clothes pile up for a couple of days.  Your body will thank you for added sleep and rest.  And not just physical sleep either silly!  Tune da fvck out mentally!  Rest your body and your mind.  Find what works best for you and take an adult time out!
  8. Move:  There's something to be said of active recovery.  You may feel like an older person later in the day after your power nap, but move!  Get a walk in.  Move around before going to sleep for the night.  And the following day?  Yeah, you're going to feel like shit!  But active recovery will help.   Remember to listen to your body.  Don't push it.  The goal is to recover.  Your movement is only to gently push those used and abused muscles in order to aid in the healing process, not to beat yourself up more you masochist!  Thus the name, "Active Easy Recovery Run".
  9. Listen:  Throughout all of this, listen to your body.  Continually.  You will feel pain, but is it just soreness or is it an injury.  Is that stomach ache just your digestive track trying to recovery and reboot or is the result of eating some bullshyt you know you shouldn't have eaten.  Is your skin dry because of a lack of lotion or is it because your dumb azz ain't drinking enough water.  Running is one of the many sports which provides you with an opportunity to get to know you better.  Both mentally and physically.  
  10. Practice:  Don't just through a made up recovery plan after a race out the blue.  I have a plan after EVERY long or hard effort!  EVERY ONE!  I have my post race mix prepared EVERY TIME.  I have my clean up routine that incorporates a cold water shower EVERY TIME.  I know what I'm going to eat most of the time, but I know I have to eat and I know what my body can take even from fast food places because I practice my process EVERY TIME.  I know when to compress up and when I don't have to, but I will almost be in compression EVERY TIME the day after.  And you best believe I'm going to go to sleep!  As for water?  Yeah, I'm on that water EVERY DAY!  Active recovery?  For me, I'm still on that #Run365 y'all!  
  11. Physical Therapy:  You've heard of the torture devices known as rollers?  No?  [evil laugh] Yeah, I hate those fvckers too, but they are valuable in active recovery.  Don't want to torture yourself?  Then go get a non-invasive massage.  NOTICE "NON-INVASIVE" . No deep tissue ish here folks.  You're fvcking injured, you don't want someone injuring you further!  Light touch!  Probally don't want to trust someone to your torn muscles that don't know what they're doing, so if you can go see a physical therapist!  Don't want to cough up the coin for either of these, then there are ways you can use tenis balls or other household items like a rolling pin to help relieve those aching damaged muscles.  And don't just roll / theraphy those muscles after a hard or long effort, take care of them weekly and when they need it.  Remember, listen to your body and its needs.  Your body does talk to you, we just seem to tune it out.  
  12. Second guess and review:  Take the time to review your run and your recovery.  Identify what worked and what didn't.  What felt differently and why?  Then adjust and prepare for the next recovery. 

What things do you do to recover?  What things would you suggest to help with recovery after long runs and efforts?  What y'all got?  Let me know at the facebook post linked here.  

Y'all be good.  Do you!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.