Runners lie all the time and I'm a runner.

9:13 AM

You see this guy?

Full of smiles.  He seems happy.  Refreshed.  There's definitely a ton of hair that could possibly use a shave.  And that nose.  It's huge!

I'm not talking about the squirrel.  I'm talking about me.

In this picture it may appear that all is well, but I feel like shit!  My body is going through a recovery period after inhaling smoke constantly for the last few weeks.  Upon my arrival back home, my body realized that the air quality was better and began cleaning out my lungs.  The result?  Feeling like death!

I would say the symptoms were in line with a horrible cold or flu.  But definitely different.

Why am I all smiles?  Because there are other runners present who are about to embark upon either a 100K journey or a 100 mile journey and distances like these are a mental and physical gauntlet, which magnifies even the slightest of discord.

Plus, I'm in the presence of a few key people who I know are looking to me for strength.  I'm also here to pace someone later in the race, so I BEST not be showing even a HINT of discomfort.

But runners lie all the time.  Its true.

Oh so many speak of the runner's high or the magic of endorphins coursing through one's veins.

When speaking about the horror of the lows.  The absolute darkness in the pit of hades one will face when pushing beyond the limits of the human body.  Those discussions are glorified and told as tales of enlightenment.

The pain.  The discomfort.  The torture, mentally and physically.

Or the fucking costs!  Whoever said running is cheap, needs their ass kicked.

Are there benefits?  Yes.  Many!  Tremendous benefits.  Loads of benefits!   Health wise, mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Hell most trail and endurance runners are some of the most dedicated selfless individuals you will meet.

They will share the last of their water to get you through the back side of the wash in the midst of a heat wave.  They will walk with your through your darkest moments to carry a psychological lantern to help light your path, damned their average pace.  They will give you the last of their provisions if they see you in need and help with your services to ensure you survive to live another day.  They will put aside their own pain to aid you through yours.

Yes, these are all true recounts of the community that I love.

They will check on you.  They will DM (direct message) you if they think something is off on your social media platforms.  They will reach out.  They will hide their own grief to assist a fellow runner.
In short, they will lie to your face all the time in order to help get you through your moment, because that's what distance runners do.

Despite their lying ass lying ways, endurance runners are some of the most honest people you'll ever meet.  Isn't that irony.



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.