Video editing! You do what with what?!? Do tell.

3:56 PM


A question I get quite often is what software you use to edit your videos?

After a quick smile to myself the response leaves others with them scratching their heads and questioning my sanity. "See I don't use any software, but I only use applications."

Yeah, I don't have a personal computer.  So when you watch my run videos at my YouTube channel, you're watching work mostly completed using apps on my 2013 iPad mini 2.  That's right.  A two!  Not 3 or 4.  

This isn't about my aging, sometimes laggy hardware that I push so hard that it gets hot to the touch from time to time, but about the apps!

Here are the apps I mainly use. 



  • Google Photos - to move photos from my android phone (I use Google Drive to move media files, music, into Pinnacle Pro from outside the Apple ecosphere).
  • Photos - is where he GoPro videos default load to when importing using Apple's micro SD card reader. Yes Apple makes a card reader to import photos, videos, and other media into i - devices. 
  • Rotate & Flip - to flip any videos that go recorded upside down by mistake.
  • Emulsio - This is where e magic begins.  This app reduces a lot of the vibration and shakiness of GoPro video, as GoPros DO NOT have an optic le stabilizer built in.  Seriously GoPro!?
  • LumaFX - I don't use this app much, as I can use built in filters in editing apps.  But if I needed to add effects like old film, or scratched black and white film, I use this.  I have used it to good effect in a couple of videos.
  • Pinnacle Pro -  I spend the majority of my time here. Within this app is where the music track gets laid down first, the editing is done, transitions are completed, and the beta rough film is almost ready for publishing.  But not before heading into iMovie.</li>
  • iMovie - I use iMovie to add all the text.  I prefer the text animations of iMovie over what's available in Pinnacle Pro.  Typically his is the final place before I use the YouTube Studio app to upload to YouTube.
The remaining apps are used for polish for video clips or the like. For example Intro Designer is used to create my outro on all my videos where I thank the organizers and volunteers. Reverse Vid and Reverser Cam do exactly what you think they do, they both do  a backward rewind effect that I used once, just in different ways. VCR Camcorder is an effects app to provide a grainy, skip frame type view.

So there you go.  Most of these apps were free.  Pinnacle Pro is where I paid a whole 12.99, plus about 10 bucks of in app purchases for transition effects.  I may be in 28 dollars total to edit my YouTube videos. 

As for My entire online presence?  Yup, managed solely on an aging iPad and my Android phone.  Biggest fear by doing everything solely on my iPad?  Yeah, that the days of this iPad are limited.  Keeping a charge is difficult and it does get plenty hot when editing photos or videos, playing my favorite game - Boom Beach, or watching YouTube videos.  

I'm starting to like answering y'all questions, so what else y'all got?  

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.