Mountain to Fountain 15K: Are we really doing this?


Yeah, yeah, this is late and a long time coming.

Originally I had my mind set on another Xterra run at Black Canyon. I had heard there would be river crossings. The distance would be good for me to get some miles in on the trail. All part of the greater plan to prepare mind, body, soul for the 100K that I've dedicated myself to in October. Here I come buckle.


But there was some difficulty with family in the week leading up to Black Canyon that made the idea of being away so long (including the drive) difficult to swallow, so I had reserved myself to just pounding out 10-12 miles along the green belt nearby.


I had never heard of this race until a couple of days before go time. A gem dropped upon me via Facebook through an inquiry if I was going.


Short distance. Can push the pace. Not far from home... Yeah. I can do that. Let's do that!
Up early and quick 20 minutes drive and I'm there. Pickup of bib was quick and easy. Buses were primed and ready to take participants to the start of this point to point run bright and early at 5:15am. Things were so quick I went back to the motorcycle and kept my gear on for a spell to keep warm.
Used the nearby Safeway as a bathroom break and spot to pick up some water before getting on the bus to take me to the start.

At the start, the sun was just beginning to bring forth its rays of life from behind the distant mountains as the start time of 8:00am approached. This wasn't a large race, so the crowd was manageable and the atmosphere was friendly. We were all part of an intimate family that were about to go from the McDowell Mountain Regional Park to the Fountain of Fountain Hills!


Go!!! is what you heard and like cattle, the crowd began moving collectively and swiftly to the right.
I had a strategy. Be as light as possible. Don't worry about taking in nutrition. Quick water grabs if needed. Nothing on my person other than necessary items. Wallet. GoPro Camera attached to hat. Nothing else. Run hard, but not too hard (gotta be able to handle motorcycle after run). No music. No headphones. Quickness. Use the elevation changes to my benefit. Don't fight gravity, push through the elevation gains. Save some fuel for mile 7. This would be a depletion run.
 
Fresh New Balance Zante V2s on the feet for their quick turnover, lightness, and minor cushion. These shoes can't pound out the ground in these kicks.

The first four miles are downhill. I used the first mile to warm up and then gradually turned on the jets to mid 8 min/mile pace. I was able to hold a near 8 min/mile for miles 2 - 4 (I possibly could have given more, but I was trying to conserve some fuel for the climb to come).
 
Mile 4 runners turn out to the main road headed to fountain hills. The quick elevation drop disappears and we're now faced with the challenge of 2 miles of rolling hills, mostly hills but nothing excessive. Keeping in mind that I needed to keep some fuel in the tank for the encroaching hill.
 
Mile 7 is a hill. No questions, this is a hill! If you didn't reserve some fuel to beat this monster, you were toast and reserved to walk. I ended up passing quite a few folks during this climb. Great thing this is the only climb as it takes a toll on you and makes this race not for the faint of heart that thought this would be an "easy" run. But I remember thinking in awe and excitement "we're doing this!" "we're really doing this!"
  
Mile 8 sweeps down and to the left into town with a small rolling hill that gets to the last water station. Quick grab, couple of swallows, and let's rock!
....uhhhhh. Are we headed straight or taking another left? This is what you think as you past the last water station because there is a hill awaiting you around the bend. There's a quick decent and another shorter "HILL!" WTF! There was no plan for this. There are a few words of surprised exchanged between myself and my now running partner that I've been pacing for the last couple of miles. "Let's do this!"


We push through, slowing the pace a little until we crest the hill and sweep left towards the finish.
Right before mile 9 you get a full view of the remaining course to the finish straight ahead. This is where its time to dig and deplete anything that is left.

I see one of the AZ running crew ahead and think for a second, "I can catch her." I was gaining too. 


Quickly, Strava recorded a 7:28 pace for the .3 miles. But within 50 yards of finish, she had saved some and turned on the boost. "Oh well" but I'm not giving up, this is about me. I kept the engine on boil and crossed with in a respectable 1:20:11 with a 8:35 min/mile average pace.
 
The concrete never felt so good as I laid there to catch my breath and think "I'm freaking awesome!"
This was a wonderful experience. It was one of the best runs ever for me. Not because of the Personal Bests that I had during this race and for this distance. NOPE!


This was a wonderful experience because I was amazed at how marvelous and wonderful my body performed. Just a week prior I had completed a freaking MARATHON! Now here I am RUNNING a 15K!


Y'all after my first 1/2 marathon completion I couldn't walk good for days. Hell just four year prior I couldn't run a fvcking 20 yards before dying. Now here I am running a fast 15K a WEEK AFTER A MARATHON!!!!


I'm RUNNING! The last year, my body has begun to blossom and come into itself with the running thing. Maybe, it's because of the trails. I'm not sure, but 2015 was an painful but awesome run year. 2016 is showing the results of a lot of that pain and growth.
 
With growth comes pain. With pain comes growth. They are not independent of each other as they are transformative experiences. But when you can take a moment to bathe in the joy of those moments when they come, do so. Why? Because if you're true to yourself, you know there is a whole lot more pain and growth on the horizon. ...but one must never confuse pain and growth with speed and time.
 
If you're looking for a small town feel 15K in a metro, then the Mountain to Fountain is the run for you.
 
Be good folks, do you, and be the better you today.
 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.