So how do you feel? Coldwater Rumble

That's the question that haunted me late into the night. "How do you feel? Especially considering you just roughly completed a half marathon and six days ago you finished a full marathon?"

A response eluded me when pressed.  Wasn't that I wanted to be elusive, just there was nothing (not like there's much going on in me head anyways. 

Let's go with facts:
  • Lota Ward was on deck completing a 20K run.  If you don't know Lota, well he's battled brain cancer and is an ultrarunner.  ...at the age of 9 years of.  Just saying.  He's been featured at Runner's World for his efforts. 
  • Got to see Catra Corbett @dirtdiva actually on the trail.  I've read so much about her inspirational story that it was a highlight of my day.  
  • This was an effort that I wasn't initially planning, but surprisingly my body, though tired, responded and got me to the finish.  In one piece. 
  • And Lastly.  Got some video!  As always, the video making process is serendipity at it's best.  The best footage I thought I got was not present or not that great, but the final product ended up being decent. 

The Aravaipa Running Coldwater Rumble is held in the Estrella Mountains in Goodyear AZ.  Various distances to challenge even the best trail runners out there.  Distances covering 100 miles! 52 miles.  52kilometers!  20 miles!  20 kilomters!  And 4 miles! 

These trails ain't no joke.  As I described in my YouTube video description, "With a climb coming out the block within mile one to sap the reserves the courses proved to be challenging for all across jagged rocks and sand."

The initial accent is brutal and you're grateful for the first fall into the wash.  What you don't realize is that overall, you're gradually accending throughout the course for roughly six miles of the 20K. 

Quick look at all the elevations maps, and it is true for all distances.  You're lured into a false sense of hope because of that first accent that the course isn't as demanding as it is until you've nearly reached the end and that decent into camp is welcomed by your legs. 

The flat road surface at the end seems like a breath of life compared to the rumble you've encountered in the hills of those there mountains.  On the tarmac once again, without the interference of sharp jagged rocks trying to tenderize your toes on the repeat, you can feel the end and the finish.  The tempo quickens and your body relaxes as you turn into the chute.  ...and before you can comprehend all that has occurred over the past few hours, it is over.

The people, the place, the atmosphere all seemed magical, yet distant.  It was surreal.  I felt outside myself.  Could I really do this?  Was I really doing this?  Did I really do that? 

Next thing of reality I found myself in the shower, going through my post race ritual.  Hot Hot water, stretch, and finally cold water (I've gotten used to the cold water post event and look forward to the chill of the water cooling aching muscles).  This process I know too well.  Mechanical in nature to ward off injuries.  It's what works for me.

Was excited to finally get into my traditional home post race meal; Taco Bell's Mountain Dew Baja Blast Freeze and Grimaldi's coal brick oven pizza!  

But how do I feel?....

A day later the only thing that comes to mind is... "Thankful."

Photo by CB

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.