Shoe Review: Nike Zoom Fly

8:49 PM



The Nike Zoom Fly!  Based on the Nike Zoom Vaperfly 4%, which are $250.00!  The Vaperfly 4% kicks are the result of custom efforts and feedback from elite runners that chased the sub 2-hour marathon mark with Nike!  Go check the story if you have time.

The Zoom Fly is a downgrade version.  If the Vaperfly 4% were an Audi, the Zoom Fly is Volkwagon.  You do know that Volkswagon owns Audi and there is a lot of tech shared between Volkswagon an Audi, right?

You get the point.

The Zoom Fly is a quick shoe.  They promote a quick turnover.  There's a substantial midfoot roll in the outsole (bottom part of the shoe) that propels you forward.

The Zoom Fly is lightweight and breathe well.

These kicks have a cushion to them that is deceitful.  You may think these shoes could be a daily trainer as a result of the cushioned feel of the outsole when you wear them in the store, as I did. But they are not.

In Nike's own words:
The Nike Zoom Fly Men's Running Shoe is designed to meet the demands of your toughest tempo runs, long runs and race day with a responsive construction that turns the pressure of each stride into energy return for the next.are a daily 
Now I'm not saying these shoes can't go the distance.  Nope.  I'm saying they aren't a daily trainer.  These aren't the shoes you're looking for if you want to go long and leisurely.  You know, your Sunday afternoon ride where you're out to see the sights, cruising while listening to smooth jazz.

These kicks want to go fast and promotes swiftness in their construction an design.  You will fight with these shoes if you want to ease back into a long slow routine with these puppies.

Like telling a Dubstep DJ to chill out and relax after the beat drops!  Fvck that!  Best just leave the club or go all in and bounce with the beat.

The shoes are well constructed.  The tongue is burrito style and stays in place.  I had zero hot spots with these kicks where I have issues with other shoes.  Well ventilated and ready to breathe in the hotness of the Arizona desert.

When I picked up the tempo, these kicks were there and ready!

But there is a warning and an issue I have with the Zoom Fly.  That construction that makes them quick, is also their achilles heel for runners like myself who mid-strike with a slight supination.  The construction of the outsole at the midfoot area rolls the foot forward but lacks support to prevent a slight inward roll of the foot.

I had to mentally adjust my strike and my stride to accommodate for this.  The cushion, which provides impact protection and makes this shoe a great distance speed shoe, crumbled slightly under the impact causing the issue.

It's ever so slight, but it was noticeable enough for me to raise a flag for myself and the shoe.

In short, if you are looking for fast kicks that can go the distance on an air-ride suspension, with enough response to keep you satisfied, these are your kicks for your next half-marathon or marathon.

Pros:

  • Lightweight
  • Breathes well
  • Responsive yet cushioned
  • Promotes a quick leg turnover for speed
  • Comfortable
  • Well Constructed
  • Some colors combinations look fly (personal opinion)


Cons:

  • No stability for supination
  • No stability controls built into the upper
  • Midfoot area may not accommodate wider foot sizes
  • Kinda pricey at $150.00 bucks (If you can find or get them for 120 -130, then they are a go)
  • Some colors combinations suck (personal opinion)


Well, that's all I have to say about the Nike Zoom Fly.  I really like these kicks and I want to love them.   My right foot though would pay the price and that's a price I'm not willing to pay despite how much I want to love these kicks and keep them in my arsenal.  They are the shoes I want, but not the shoes my feet need.

 If you have a pair, let me know what you think about them.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.